113. Becky Johnson
Becky Johnson is the Youth Pastor of Jesus Culture Sacramento, where she lives to see students encounter the raw power and extreme love of God that changed her own life as a teenager. Growing up in the Midwest she moved to California and attended the Bethel School of Supernatural Ministry before she began working with Jesus Culture in 2010. She and her husband, Jesus Culture artist and Worship Pastor, Derek Johnson, have three children and reside in Northern California. Tune in to this episode as Becky shares on the topics of getting healing from your past, staying rooted in the Word during busy seasons, celebrity Christian culture and more.
Hebrews 2:1 “We must pay the most careful attention, therefore, to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away.”
Matthew 12:36 “But I tell you that everyone will have to give account on the day of judgment for every empty word they have spoken.”
John 15:4 “Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me.”
- Becky lives in Sacramento, California. She grew up in Indiana.
- Becky is the youth pastor for the Jesus Culture church in Sacramento.
- Becky has been married 13 years and she and her husband have 3 children.
- Becky was raised by a single mother after her father left when she was 5.
- Becky met Jesus at a Pentecostal church when she was 8 years old.
- A year after Becky met Jesus, her mother stopped taking her to church and Becky fell into a sinful lifestyle during her teenage years.
- When Becky was 16, she got into some legal trouble and her mom decided that Becky needed to start attending church again. Becky began attending church with her aunt and uncle.
- Becky attended church regularly with her aunt and uncle and eventually recommitted her life to Jesus.
Becky’s New Life with Jesus
- A young girl at Becky’s church felt God’s calling to give Becky a CD. The CD was Jesus Culture’s very first album titled “Everything”.
- Becky had an encounter with the Holy Spirit after listening to that CD.
- When Becky graduated high school she moved to Redding, California to learn more about the Jesus Culture ministry. Becky is now the youth pastor of that very ministry that ministered to her when she was a teenager.
Getting Healing from Your Past
- Inner healing is a lifestyle.
- Start by getting plugged in to a church community.
- Get around healthy people who can show you how-to walk-in freedom instead of using earthly crutches (anger, drug and alcohol abuse, etc.)
- Pursue professional counseling and therapy.
- Sozo ministry
How to Stay Rooted in God’s Word in the Midst of a Busy Season
- It’s important to juggle things in life instead of always trying to find a perfect balance which is not realistic.
- It’s a life of sacrifice.
- It’s nonnegotiable, you have to be in the Word of God daily.
- Get creative.
- Stay diligent.
Encouragement for Parents
- Parents need to take cell phones away from children.
- Be vigilant – you are your child’s protector.
- Children should not have a cell phone until they are 17 or 18 years old.
- Have open conversations about purity and sexual sin.
- Set boundaries. Take their phones away at bedtime. Look at their apps. Be aware of what your child is using.
- Get your own healing and resources on how to talk have the tough conversations with your children.
Celebrity Christian Culture
- Celebrity Christian culture is a byproduct of a broken system.
- Jesus is our model and He was not a self-promoter.
- Celebrity Christian culture is wrong.
- We are masking our ego and our desire for influence under the guise of evangelism.
- We have to be sober minded and remember that we will give an account for our life at the end of it.
- Be sober minded about your intentions and motives.
- Be careful about not judging others because you don’t know their heart and intentions.
- Guard your heart, mind and intentions.
- The human soul was not built for fame.
Becky’s Journey Through Infertility
- Becky and her husband were diagnosed with secondary infertility after giving birth to their daughter.
- She and her husband tried to conceive for over 3 years and during that time they had a miscarriage.
- Becky and her husband went on to have their son and another daughter.
- God’s timing was perfect for Becky’s family and it was better than what Becky had imagined.
- Find a community of support.
- Remember that God’s got it all worked out.
“God is so interested in the details.” – Becky
“Inner healing is a lifestyle.” – Becky
“A big part of inner healing is getting in the right community of people.” – Becky
“Inner healing is painful.” – Becky
“Inner healing is pain with a purpose.” – Becky
“We are in a sacrificial relationship with Jesus.” – Becky
“Every single believer who has a relationship with Jesus needs to be in the Word daily.” – Becky
“We have got to get back to the Word because truth is being challenged.”- Becky
“The more you read the Word, the more you crave it.” – Becky
“Giving a child a cell phone and unfettered access to the internet is giving an alcoholic the keys to the liquor cabinet.” – Becky
“We are putting temptation, sin, darkness and pornography in children’s hands.” – Becky
“Celebrity Christian Culture is a byproduct of a broken system.” – Becky
“Our model is Jesus. Jesus was not a self-promoter, influence hungry hustler.” – Becky
“We are masking our ego and our desire for influence under the guise of evangelism.” – Becky
“We attach to the hustle movement and we forget the abiding movement.” – Caroline
“We can’t idolize preachers, pastors and worship leaders. They are not God, they are human.” – Becky
The Reset book by Jeremy Riddle
The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry by John Mark Comer
The Supernatural Ways of Royalty by Kris Vallotton
Instagram – @beckyfoxjohnson
Join the VIP Facebook Group: Facebook Group
Follow A Cup Full of Hope on Facebook and Instagram: Instagram • Facebook
Follow Caroline on Instagram and Facebook
Instagram • Facebook