136. My Turning Point
August 2013 was my turning point. I went from being at rock bottom and completely devastated to overflowing with hope. Tune into this episode as I share how the trajectory of my life changed because of a decision I made 9 years ago. May my testimony open up your heart to realize there is an invitation waiting for you as well – one that I believe can lead to your turning point too.
Matthew 16:24-25 says, “Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me. “For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it; but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.” Isn’t denying yourself the act of surrendering?
Psalm 46:10 NIV “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!”
Psalm 46:10 Passion Translation “Surrender your anxiety! Be silent and stop your striving And you will see that I am God. I am the God above all the nations, And I will be exalted throughout the whole earth.”
Romans 4:2-3 says, “the story we’re given is a God-story, not an Abraham-story. What we read in Scripture is, ‘Abraham entered into what God was doing for him, and that was the turning point. He trusted God to set him right instead of trying to be right on his own’.”
- Caroline and Colby started trying to have children shortly after they got married.
- In 2012, Caroline was diagnosed with a tumor on her pituitary gland and Colby was diagnosed with azoospermia.
- While Colby was away for work, Caroline did a lot of research. They tried everything to get pregnant (restricted diets, vitamins, acupuncture, charting and timing cycles, essential oils, etc.)
- Caroline and Colby were in a season where they were living month to month.
- It was a season of complete hopelessness and devastation. They were miserable.
- Caroline’s turning point happened in August of 2013
- Caroline had a dream that she was pregnant. She was convinced that she would receive a positive pregnancy test.
- Caroline hit rock bottom when she took the test and it was negative.
- The Lord got Caroline’s attention in that moment and told her that her works would not get her a baby. God was going to give her a baby and it would be a gift from Him.
- In that moment God asked Caroline if she would surrender her journey to Him.
- The Lord gave Caroline a picture of herself looking like a toddler throwing a tantrum. God told Caroline that if she was willing to surrender and give Him the control, He would bless her with a story of hope, abundance, and joy.
- Caroline said YES to the Lord and in that moment, she surrendered everything.
- means “to give (oneself) up into the power of another; to yield to the power, control of another.”
- Our journey with Christ is a journey of surrender.
- When we surrender, we are denying our will and we are saying that we want God’s will instead.
- Will you stop your striving? Will you surrender?
Surrender vs Striving
- Ask yourself, “Has God led me to do this?” “Do I feel peace about this decision?”
If so, you are in a great place.
- If you feel anxious, or if you do not feel peace about the situation then you are in a posture of striving.
- What is the fruit on your life?
- If you have surrendered you will have the fruits of the spirit – peace, hope, love, joy, etc.
- If you have taken matters into your own hands, you will have anger, impatience, hopelessness, jealousy, bitterness, etc.
- You will know what heart posture you have been in, either a position of striving or a posture of surrender.
- Surrender is a choice.
“There is an invitation on your life, directly from the Lord, to surrender.” – Caroline
“When you are walking intimately with the Lord, you will have fruit.” – Caroline
“God gives us free will.” – Caroline
“God is a good God, and He will not force you to do anything.” – Caroline
“You have the option to allow God to write your story.” – Caroline
“Will you say, ‘Lord, I want you to write my story’?” – Caroline
Join the VIP Facebook Group: Facebook Group
Follow A Cup Full of Hope on Facebook and Instagram: Instagram • Facebook
Follow Caroline on Instagram and Facebook
Instagram • Facebook