143. Dr. Shannan Crawford // Healthy Ways to Heal From Pain
Dr. Shannan Crawford is a licensed clinical psychologist, conference speaker, adjunct professor, innovator of the Restoring Self-Cohesion (RSC) approach, and the host of the podcast Unlock U with Dr. Shannan Crawford. A California native Dr. Shannan now resides in Texas. Tune in to this episode as Dr. Shannan shares healthy ways to heal from pain.
James 1:8 “He is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.”
Genesis 1:26 “Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”
John 16:7 “Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you.”
Psalm 42:11 “Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.”
Matthew 12:34 “You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.”
Romans 5:4 “And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation.”
- Shannan knew she was called to be a missionary at the age of 5.
- Shannan went to LA when she was 17 and became an actress.
- Her parents prayed that God would change the desires of her heart.
- Shannan endured a lot of trauma in her childhood.
- Shannan had a supernatural experience with the Lord at her church in LA where she was filled with the Holy Spirit.
- The fear of the Lord changed things in Shannan’s life.
- Shannan now works as a clinical psychologist.
Practical Ways to Heal in a Healthy Way
- The soul is counterintuitive.
- Use reassuring self-talk.
- The Holy Spirit is our helper and our comforter.
- Lower your defenses and allow the pain to be met in relationship.
- Your pain matters to God.
- Allow God to minister to those deep places in your soul.
- Build relationship with yourself and allow yourself to feel scared, anxious, etc.
- Give yourself the time, space and permission for your heart to heal.
How Do I Know if I am in a Healthy Place?
- Learn to be okay along the way.
- When you go through a triggering moment, what comes out of you?
- Are you aware of how your mind is wanting to process that trigger? (binge eating, self-harm, etc.)
- Are you choosing to intimacy with Jesus?
“Anger that doesn’t go out, goes against.” – Shannan
“God gives us our defense mechanisms.” – Shannan
“Fear is a spirit; scared is an emotion.” – Shannan
“We’re all wired to avoid pain, but the problem with that is the pain is still there.” – Shannan
“Where there is no intimacy then it creates a craving for false comfort.” – Shannan
“Every time we get triggered, we have an invitation to heal another layer of our soul and eventually our soul will have a scar there instead of a wound.” – Shannan