174. Financial Stewardship: Part 3 // Tithing and Giving
Tune into part 3 of the financial stewardship series where Colby and Caroline share what God’s Word says on the principles of tithing and giving. Prepare your heart to learn the purposes of tithing and giving and practical steps for being obedient with both.
Deuteronomy 15:5 “You will receive this blessing if you are careful to obey all the commands of the Lord your God that I am giving you today.”
Deuteronomy 4:28 “There, in a foreign land, you will worship idols made from wood and stone—gods that neither see nor hear nor eat nor smell.”
Numbers 28:2 “Give these instructions to the people of Israel: The offerings you present as special gifts are a pleasing aroma to me; they are my food. See to it that they are brought at the appointed times and offered according to my instructions.
Deuteronomy 14:23B, TLB “The purpose of tithing is to teach you always to put God first in your lives.”
Luke 6:38, TPT: “Give generously and generous gifts will be given back to you, shaken down to make room for more. Abundant gifts will pour out upon you with such an overflowing measure that it will run over the top! Your measurement of generosity becomes the measurement of your return.”
Proverbs 3:9-10, TPT: “Glorify God with all your wealth, honoring him with your very best, with every increase that comes to you. Then every dimension of your life will overflow with blessings from an uncontainable source of inner joy!”
2 Corinthians 9:6-7, “Remember this—a farmer who plants only a few seeds will get a small crop. But the one who plants generously will get a generous crop. You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don’t give reluctantly or in response to pressure. “For God loves a person who gives cheerfully.” And God will generously provide all you need. Then you will always have everything you need and plenty left over to share with others.”
Malachi 3:8-10 “Should people cheat God? Yet you have cheated me!“ But you ask, ‘What do you mean? When did we ever cheat you?’ “You have cheated me of the tithes and offerings due to me. You are under a curse, for your whole nation has been cheating me. Bring all the tithes into the storehouse so there will be enough food in my Temple. If you do,” says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies, “I will open the windows of heaven for you. I will pour out a blessing so great you won’t have enough room to take it in! Try it! Put me to the test!”
Matthew 6:21 “For your heart will always pursue what you value as your treasure.”
John 21:4-6 “But when the morning had now come, Jesus stood on the shore; yet the disciples did not know that it was Jesus. Then Jesus said to them, “Children, have you any food?” They answered Him, “No.” And He said to them, “Cast the net on the right side of the boat, and you will find some.” So they cast, and now they were not able to draw it in because of the multitude of fish.”
- Tithe means tenth.
- The tithe refers to the first 10% of your income.
- You can’t afford not to tithe.
- Tithing is a spiritual principle.
- How you spend your money and your time shows what you place your value in and if you want to step into all God has for you in terms of your finances, then start by giving him 10% of what is already His.
- You are under a curse when you are not tithing.
- You will be immensely blessed when you do bring the tithe!
- Obedience in tithe leads to blessing and more than enough!
Examples of Tithing in the Bible
- God gave Adam and Eve everything in the garden but he told them to reserve one tree for God.
- Cain and Abel both gave offerings to God.
- Abraham offers a tithe to the priest.
- Isaac sows seed in a famine and reaps a harvest.
- Jacob promises a tithe to the Lord.
- Moses gives specific tithing and offering instructions.
- The tithe existed before the law was given through Moses.
- Tithing is in the New Testament after Jesus’ resurrection.
What is the Purpose of Tithing?
- To teach us to put God first in our lives.
- God does not need our money. He wants our heart.
- Tithing is a heart posture.
- When you tithe, you are telling God is that you are putting Him first.
- When you tithe, you recognize that everything that you have belongs to God.
- Tithing takes faith.
Practical Steps to Tithing
- Tithing is the first 10% of your gross income. God should be honored or glorified first.
- The tithe should go to your local church.
- If you are in transition between churches, give to ministries that have blessed you. This should only be short term until you find a home church.
Lies About Tithing
- Lie – Tithing is not for today. Truth – Tithing is for today!
- God is looking for you to trust Him.
- Lie – I cannot afford to tithe. Truth – You can’t afford not to tithe!
- You cannot expect financial favor and breakthrough in your finances if you don’t tithe.
- Lie – If you give your tithe, you shouldn’t expect to receive anything from God. Truth – God promised blessings and rewards for tithing and giving.
- We should expect to receive what God has promised.
What is the Difference Between Tithing and Giving?
- The tithe is the first 10% of your income.
- Giving is additional giving beyond your tithing.
- Tithe goes to your local church.
- Giving goes to missionaries, evangelists or other ministries that have blessed and/or encouraged you.
- Giving should stretch you and make you uncomfortable.
- Tithe and give cheerfully. You should be honored and delighted to tithe and give.
- Let’s be excited about sowing into the kingdom of God!
“God’s people aren’t subject to their conditions or environment.” – Colby
“You are not restricted and bound by your environment or what the world is encountering and enduring.” – Colby
“The promises of God are reserved for the Godly lovers, those who are seeking God and putting Him first.” – Caroline
“If you give God the first 10% of your income, He is going to pour out so much blessing that you won’t have enough room to take it in.” – Caroline
“To receive blessing and favor in your finances, you have got to obey the principle of the tithe.” – Caroline
“God will not go against His Word.” – Caroline
“If you withhold the tithe, you are stealing from God.” – Caroline
“You can’t outgive God.” – Colby
“God has to back up His Word.” – Caroline
“Tithing and giving is a heart posture.” – Caroline
Financial Freedom Episode 95
Reaping What You Sow Episode 170
Financial Stewardship Part 1 Episode 172
Financial Stewardship Part 2 Episode 173