181. Jenessa Wait // From Serving God to Being with Him
Jenessa Wait is a Christian, wife, mom and professional hand-lettering artist who believes that encouragement and truth have the power to change the way we live. She started her hand-lettering journey in 2015 as a hobby and it quickly turned into a thriving and successful online business selling art prints, journals, and home decor. Jenessa also teaches online courses and has partnered with brands like Causebox. Jenessa also is a speaker and author. When sheʼs not creating, she and her husband serve as young adult pastors at a local church in Austin, TX where they reside.
Tune into this episode to hear her story of how a radical encounter led her to go from a servant to a daughter of God, how her business got started, how she stays encouraged in the mundane moments and more.
Matthew 7:22-23 “Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and, in your name, perform many miracles? ‘Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’
James 4:6 “But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says, ‘God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble.”
Psalm 92:12-13 “The righteous will flourish like a palm tree, they will grow like a cedar of Lebanon; planted in the house of the Lord, they will flourish in the courts of our God.”
Isaiah 40:31 “but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.”
Hebrews 10:23 “Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful.”
Romans 5:5 “And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.”
- Jenessa was born in Canada, but she now lives in Austin, Texas with her husband and children.
- Jenessa attended the Bethel School of Ministry.
- Jenessa and her husband are young adult pastors at their church in the Austin area.
- Jenessa has a business called Jenessa Wait Co. which she does part time.
- She grew up as a pastor’s kid and she experienced the power of God at a young age.
Recognizing Your Identity
- Get to a place of surrender.
- Repent and turn away from your old way of living and thinking
- Stop trying to control things.
- Humble yourself and recognize that you need God. You can’t do it on your own.
- Acknowledge it’s not your works, it’s what He has done for you!
- Change your mindset.
- It is not hard to get back to intimacy with Christ. He has not abandoned you. He is closer than you can imagine. Turn your face to Him.
- Jenessa and her husband started a business making wood signs.
- Their business was incredibly successful in Redding but became less successful in Austin.
- What felt like a set back was really set up.
- God spoke to Jenessa to start doing prints.
- Jenessa shifted her business to what the Lord was asking her to do.
- Jenessa’s business is now incredibly successful!
- Trust where God has you today and steward that season well.
- Stewardship is the way we get to the promise.
- God is using this season to prepare you for the promise.
- Surrender to the season and be obedient to God.
- The process won’t always be easy.
- It takes faith to show up regardless of your feelings.
- Discipline is important.
- Recognize that the spirit realm is much more real than the natural realm.
- Partner with God and declare out “this is not who I am. I am not lethargic, I am not lazy, etc.” and believe who you are in Christ.
- Just because you are feeling something, doesn’t mean it’s true.
- Take authority in Christ.
- When you show up, it is terrifying to the devil.
Putting God First in the Midst of Busy Seasons
- Spend time in the Word every single day.
- Make the Word of God a priority.
- Get connected with your local church.
- Learn how to say no to good things.
- If you say yes to everything, God will not have your time.
- Have a Sabbath
- You have to prepare for Sabbath.
- You have to strive to go into rest.
- Be intentional with leaning in to the Lord.
- Slow down your pace to really connect with the Lord.
- Start small (don’t do the laundry and read the Bible more, etc.)
- It will look different for everyone.
- We all need hope.
- When we hope in the Lord we will be strengthened to persevere.
- Shift your eyes off of the promise and put your eyes on God.
- God is hope.
- Hope in God will not disappoint.
“God’s inheritance isn’t passed down to servants. It’s passed down to daughters and sons.” – Jenessa
“What felt like a set back was really a set up.” – Jenessa
“If God is calling you to something but He’s not yet shown you the fullness of that, trust where He has you today and steward that season well.” – Jenessa
“Stewardship is so powerful and it’s the way that we get to the promise.” – Jenessa
“You are the ruler of your feelings. Your feelings don’t rule you.” – Jenessa
Monthly donations are now available – acupfullofhopepodcast.com
Join the VIP Facebook Group: Facebook Group
Follow A Cup Full of Hope on Facebook and Instagram: Instagram • Facebook
Follow Caroline on Instagram and Facebook:
Instagram • Facebook