204. Jen Miskov // Fasting 101
Jen loves to lead people into a greater lifestyle of intimacy with Jesus through her writing, teaching, and ministry. She is the founding director School of Revival which is an online school to equip and raise up revivalists around the world. She currently lives in Anaheim, CA. She is ordained by Heidi Baker with Iris Global and received her Ph.D. in Global Pentecostal and Charismatic Studies from the University of Birmingham, U.K.
Tune in to this episode as Jen delves into the ins and outs of fasting. She’ll cover who should consider fasting, why it’s beneficial, practical fasting tips, and much more!
Joel 2:15 “Blow the ram’s horn in Jerusalem! Announce a time of fasting; call the people together for a solemn meeting.”
2 Chronicles 20:1-4 “After this, the armies of the Moabites, Ammonites, and some of the Meunites declared war on Jehoshaphat. 2 Messengers came and told Jehoshaphat, “A vast army from Edom is marching against you from beyond the Dead Sea. They are already at Hazazon-tamar.” Jehoshaphat was terrified by this news and begged the Lord for guidance. He also ordered everyone in Judah to begin fasting. So people from all the towns of Judah came to Jerusalem to seek the Lord’s help.”
Ezra 8:21-23 “And there by the Ahava Canal, I gave orders for all of us to fast and humble ourselves before our God. We prayed that he would give us a safe journey and protect us, our children, and our goods as we traveled. For I was ashamed to ask the king for soldiers and horsemen to accompany us and protect us from enemies along the way. After all, we had told the king, “Our God’s hand of protection is on all who worship him, but his fierce anger rages against those who abandon him.” So, we fasted and earnestly prayed that our God would take care of us, and he heard our prayer.”
Zechariah 8:19 “This is what the Lord of Heaven’s Armies says: The traditional fasts and times of mourning you have kept in early summer, midsummer, autumn, and winter are now ended. They will become festivals of joy and celebration for the people of Judah. So, love truth and peace.”
Luke 18:12 “I fast twice a week, and I give you a tenth of my income.”
Matthew 6:16 ““And when you fast, don’t make it obvious, as the hypocrites do, for they try to look miserable and disheveled so people will admire them for their fasting. I tell you the truth, that is the only reward they will ever get.”
- Fasting is a great way to start the new year.
- Spiritual fasting is in the Bible and is led by the Spirit.
- Fasting is not intended as a diet or for weight loss.
- Fasting is following in the footsteps of Jesus. Jesus regularly fasted.
- Jesus said no to food so He could eat the bread of Heaven and commune with the Father.
- Fasting is setting aside food for a season so that instead of eating food, you’re eating spiritual food.
- The heart of fasting is feasting upon God.
- Fasting is not a religious ritual. It’s an invitation to fall in love with Jesus more and know Him more.
- Fasting is a pathway to greater intimacy with God and brings us more focused onto the face of Jesus.
Testimonies from Fasting
- Fasting is like a reset or a realignment.
- Fasting helps you to walk in purity.
- Fasting helps you to stay focused and stay true to your calling.
- Fasting shows that you are on fire for the Lord.
- Fasting is an invitation for greater intimacy.
- Fasting brings fruit and it brings breakthrough.
- Fasting is the killing of our flesh.
Why Do We Have to Fast from Food?
- Food is the hardest thing to let go of.
- Jesus wants us to feast and feed our spirits and have self-control over our bodies.
- We are to feast on Him and His presence.
Practical Tips for Fasting
- Start small. Start out with skipping a meal or a 1,2 or 3 day fast and go from there.
- Give yourself grace.
- Come with an open heart and know that God is pleased with your effort.
- Fasting is about your heart posture.
- Fasting will get easier the more you do it.
- In the times you would normally be eating, you are seeking the Lord through prayer and worship.
- Eat fruit a few days before your fast.
- If you drink coffee or caffeine, try getting off of that a few days before so that you do not have caffeine migraines.
- How long your fast is going to be should determine how long you prepare for it.
- Start your fast with water and go as far as you can with just water. Then go to clear liquids (juice, etc.) then go to smoothies, then go to a Daniel fast (vegetables and fruits).
- Coconut water has a lot of electrolytes and can be a good thing to drink while on a fast.
- When you come off a fast, you want to integrate food slowly. Start with smoothies, then fruits and vegetables, then heavier foods, etc.
- Pay attention to your body. Slow is the key.
- Pay attention to the things that happen out of the blue during the fast.
- Ask the Holy Spirit what the rhythm of fasting should look like for you and let Him lead you.
- Your life will look different during a fast especially socially.
Reason for Fasting
- To stay full of the oil.
- The fire can go out if you don’t have the oil.
- Fasting is not for anything else but to stay close to Jesus.
- Celebrate every small success.
- Fasting is an offering of worship to the Lord.
- Fasting is a way to show God your love for Him.
- Go into a fast expecting God to speak to you. If you don’t feel anything, don’t be discouraged.
Should We Tell Others We Are Fasting?
- Corporate fasts invite a community to all fast together.
- There is power in community.
- Individual fasts should be done in secret. Don’t post on social media or broadcast it.
- Let the Holy Spirit lead you on whether you should share about it or not.
“There is not a better way to start the new year than in fasting.” – Jen Miskov
“Spiritual fasting is saying no to food to say yes to more of Jesus.” – Jen Miskov
“Fasting is a pathway to greater intimacy with God and brings us more focused onto the face of Jesus.” – Jen Miskov
“Generations will be impacted by us setting aside our lives to start the year consecrated before the Lord.” – Jen Miskov
“Sometimes you need to endure because there are hidden treasures that we can only access if we follow through with what He has called us to.” – Jen Miskov
“If it’s about Jesus and getting more of Him, you can’t fail.” – Jen Miskov
“Fasting has to be Spirit-led.” – Caroline Harries
“The longer the wait the greater the promise.” – Jen Miskov
Sustain the Flame by Jen Miskov *coming in February*
Join the VIP Facebook Group: Facebook Group